Wednesday, July 30, 2014

invested friends

Yep, I'm back! I went on a most wonderful visit to Canada to spend time with my husband's side of the family. I was spoiled by some amazing cousins and aunts and uncles. And I took a mental break from everything!! If you missed me, I'm sorry! If you didn't miss me, then I'm not sure why you're reading my blog right now....



Over the past few months I've realized a valuable thing about friendships. Something that I probably should have realized a lot sooner than now....but I guess better late than never!

I noticed that all of my close friends are different from each other. I guess I don't necessarily get close to a specific type of person. But you know what all my close friends have in common? They take time for me. They are interested in me. They like me because I am me (not sure on the grammar there, but I think you get it). They don't like because because of what they can get from me or what I can can give them or do for them. They have chosen to make me an important part of their life. 

Do you understand how valuable that is? Non-conditional friendship. They like me despite my failings, even when I do stupid things. They pick me up when I fall and listen to my complaints and frustrations. I don't have to pretend because they aren't judging me. I can be myself comfortably because I am secure in our friendship. 

And you know what that type of friendship does for me? It makes me want to go above and beyond for those people. To show them just how much I appreciate their gift of friendship to me. 



Oh boy. I just made another connection. Here goes: 

You know, I think many people are mistaken in the aspect of our relationship with Christ. He's not looking to get anything from us. His relationship with us is not conditional on how great or perfect we are. His gift, his relationship (through salvation) has never been something that can be earned. He gives it simply because we ask.

And we don't have to repay Him by being perfect. We don't have to repay Him at all! 

But, a truly grateful heart will want to go above and beyond for Him, just to show Him how much His gift means to them. 


Wow. Deep stuff for a jet-lagged mind at midnight. I'm quite certain I hear my bed calling my name!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment