Sunday, September 28, 2014

a job well done

My husband works in a hospital lab. I am very proud of him and the job he holds. He is so stinkin smart in his science and math world, I could never understand even half of what he knows! And he is helping sick people with this incredible knowledge of his. 

But what makes me even more proud of him is his work ethic. Even when half the people in the lab are trying to get away with doing half of the work they should be, my husband is not only taking care of all his responsibilities, but he also goes above and beyond, when necessary. 

There are so few people who are willing to do that. I was told by a few different wise and experienced  people that 80% of the work required at a job is done by 20% of the people employed there. I know my husband is one of the 20% working hard at his job, even when he doesn't feel like it.

My parents taught me to always do my best at whatever I do. They showed me through their examples that it was not okay to be lazy. And even when I was faced with a daunting or unappealing task, I should put all my effort into it and work hard. 

It's not easy to put forth effort in a job where you don't feel appreciate and you go unnoticed. (If you are a mom, you know that feeling!) But the verse that has helped me keep perspective in the most thankless of days has been this one:

Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto man. 

He's watching. He knows your effort. He values what you are doing. So do it for Him, because He will make it worth it. 

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment