Monday, September 8, 2014

good support

About once a week I have the opportunity to spend some time with my dear gals. My husband will graciously hold down the fort while I go to a friend's house and giggle the night away, as ladies left alone often do. Or I might head to a late (I mean late) movie with a group of gals who have no problem being the loudest ones in the theater. (If you've ever been in the theater with us, I apologize...sorta). 

But these women, amazing women, are the people that I would do anything I possibly could for. Sometimes my life gets crazy, and they all understand that. But if I'm available, I'm there for whatever they need.

And you know what the best part is? They are right there for me too! If I need somebody to watch my kids for a couple hours, or come be a part of an event I am hosting, or to be there for me to vent to - they are there. I'm sure they don't always want to, but that's what being a true friend us about: sometimes you do the stuff you don't feel like doing.

My mom always said: to have a friend you have to be a good friend. (If you even wonder where most of my wisdom comes from, now you know: amazing parents). It's so much easier to develop a friendship with someone when you show a personal interest in them, as well as what they do or are involved in. Even something as simple as "liking" their status on Facebook (let me just tell you: I check out who likes my stuff on Facebook all the time!) 

It's easy to be a flake, to be someone who says they will come and support, but never shows up. But to be that friend who comes to back you when no one else does, that is a valuable friend to have. 

It took me a while to figure this out, but essentially, being a good friend meant "showing up." 

Thanks to all my friends who constantly "show up" for me. You mean the world to me.

KC






No comments:

Post a Comment