Tuesday, September 2, 2014

because they're still little

For those of you who aren't yet aware: I'm homeschooling our two kiddos. We are entering our 3rd week and despite the complaining and grumbling and whining (and a little of that from the kids too), I am completely at peace with this decision.

My husband and I prayed about this decision for about 7 months before we finally decided to jump back into the home school world. I went from "absolutely not!" to  " things would really have to fall into place..." to "we are definitely going to home school!" 

That God of ours: when He wants something to happen, He makes it happen.

Little by little, God confirmed the idea that He had planted in our minds. I could probably name at least 64 reasons why we are home schooling. But if I had to come up with the most prominent and important reason, the reason that I kept coming back to time and time again, it would be this one: my children are little for such a short time and this time right now is the most valuable time for me to pour Jesus Christ into them.

You see, someday my kids are going to think they are smarter than me (my 8 year old daughter already does!) and then they will completely stop listening to me. But right now, while they are still pliable and mold-able, I have the opportunity to teach them about Jesus and how important He should be in their lives.

Last year, I taught piano lessons in the afternoon. My kids would come home from school and I would be working, at home - which was wonderful - but still not able to spend very much quality time with my children. I don't want to look back and regret that I didn't spend more time with them while they were still living in my home...and I was already feeling that way last year!

I came across this video on youtube of an artist that I had the privilege of meeting this past year. He sings in a well known Southern Gospel group but also does solo work. If you haven't had the opportunity to hear this yet, it'll get you right in the heart. Click here to see the video. (This song was nominated for a Dove Award this year for Country Song of the Year. Devin and his buddy, Doug will also be performing here in Ripon on September 15, 7:00 at Immanuel Church - shameless plug!)

Here's the thing, though. Not everyone is called to home school. I believe that with my whole heart. Many people have told me that they couldn't do it. And that's okay because God calls each person according to His purpose.  But that's where God pointed us, so that's where we went.

So, when then grumbling, complaining, and whining start to happen, I'll just tell myself to shape up because I'm doing what God wants me to do!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment