Sunday, September 7, 2014

hug your mom

Today was my daughter's birthday. We celebrated with our family, all the aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins. We had lunch, cake and ice cream, presents, and swimming. I love having my family over. I love hosting at my house. And I love the little girl who I did all this work for today. 

But that little girl only told me "thank you" one time today. And it was after she opened her gift from us and only after I reminded her to thank us! 

Now, I'm not saying this to put my kiddo down. There are plenty of times when she shows me gratefulness. And I understand the excitement of getting caught up in a day that's all about you. And she exercises good manners on a pretty regular basis outside the home...

But this exhausted mom could have used a gigantic hug at the end of the day from the birthday girl.

I don't know about the rest of you parents, but as a mom I have never given so much of myself to anything as much as I have to my children. I have sacrificed my desires, my time, and my sleep for them. I have cried countless tears of sadness, worry, and frustration. I have pushed myself past my limits and out of my comfort zone numerous times for them. 

But that's what moms do. It's a wonderful sucky job. And I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

If your mom is still around, maybe it's time to give her a call or take her out to buy her a cup of coffee. Tell her thank you for giving of herself for you. 

And give her a great big hug.

(Love you, Mom!)

KC



 


No comments:

Post a Comment