Sunday, September 21, 2014

can't take 'em personally

My kids are pretty wonderful. When I spend time with them, I often realize just how blessed I am. 

However, they also have times where they are rude and mean and treat me and/or their dad horribly. Today we were lucky enough to experience that from both our kids. There were tears, and anger, gnashing of teeth, and throwing punches. Okay, not those last two... but each kid did have a meltdown, the kind that makes a parent want to take a 2 week vacation right then and there.

This is where a valuable parenting mindset has become a very helpful tool for me. I try with all my heart not to take their words personally. My children are sinful little beings who are spewing forth whatever they can in order to get a reaction out of me. And, because they are young, they struggle with controlling the words that come out of their mouth when they are overly emotional about something. 

I, on the other hand, am an adult. If I let their words offend me and get me angry, I begin acting just like them. (I have to admit, that happens more often than I'd like!) But when I can take those words and filter them through the thought process that goes something like this:

She is overly emotional.
Don't take anything she says personally.
She doesn't mean most of what she's saying.
I don't need her to like me because I'm not her friend. 
I need her to respect me because I am her mom.
She'll apologize for everything afterwards anyway (she always does).

then I can keep my sanity. And when I keep my sanity, things always go a lot smoother. 

KC


No comments:

Post a Comment