Wednesday, May 22, 2013

learning is for nerds

As my daughter reaches her last day of school tomorrow, I am reminded of when I reached (what I thought was) my very last day of education.  I had graduated from college and would never have to go to school again!!  I had completed 17 (if I am doing the math correctly) years of school and was FREE!!  Enough education.  Enough school.  No more teachers, homework, studies, or any of that garbage.  For so many years school had been a drag; I was always looking forward to summer.

Now I didn't struggle too much at school.  That wasn't the reason why I was ready to be done.  I think my mentality was that it was something I had to get done and out of the way so I could get on with life.  Shortly after I graduated, I got married and I remember having a conversation with my father-in-law about learning.  I don't remember what started it but we definitely had different viewpoints at that time in life.  He never wanted to stop learning; he thought it was great!  I was done, never wanting any further education.   He looked at me like he was a bit surprised.  Looking back at it now, I guess I can understand that look.  How could this bright college grad think that her learning was over?  How could she never want to educate herself about anything ever again?

Well my perspective certainly has changed, although I will admit it took a few years to get to that point.  I find so many things interesting that I want to learn about it all!  And not all learning is from a book.  Sometimes it comes when you are listening to an expert or to someone who has had a ton of experience in a field.  Sometimes it comes from hands-on experience (my favorite).  Sometimes it comes from observation.  However it comes, I like learning new things. I think I might even be that old lady who goes back to college at 75 so that I can be a nurse or something like that!  (Well not a nurse - turns out I'm not very good at that sort of stuff.) 

As I reflect back on my attitude back then, I hope that maybe I can change that viewpoint for my kids.  I want them to like school.  I want them to enjoy learning and see it as an awesome thing that allows them to do so much more in life.  It might take a while for them to understand that.  After all they are surrounded by kids telling them they can't wait to get out of boring school and have a fun summer vacation!  But we'll try, even if it means we sound like nerdy parents.

You know, not every kid is good at the academic (math book, paperwork, handwriting) side of education, but that doesn't mean that you can't help your kiddo find something they are good at to become passionate about.  Funny thing is that my daughter is great at math but doesn't enjoy the homework all that much, especially her math facts.  However, she loves the idea of being awesome at playing the piano so she will sit and struggle and learn at our piano.  That, to me, shows passion.  So while we might keep working on our math facts throughout the summer, we're going to spend a whole lot more time at the piano.

So tomorrow is the last day of school, but we're going to keep learning all summer (just don't tell the kids!)

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment