Friday, May 17, 2013

loving the same... but different

I have two kids.  They are very different in personality.  They have different strengths and weaknesses.  They process things differently.  They like different foods.  I can't even tell you which one is more like me and which is more like my husband because they are such a mix of our personalities, strengths, and weaknesses (although I'm pretty sure everything negative about my children comes from my husband... wink, wink!)

My daughter is very bright.  She catches on to concepts quickly: academically, spiritually, emotionally.  She's a "take charge" kind of gal. She likes to do things her way.  She has an amazing imagination and is very creative.  She is very messy.  She is very thoughtful...when she wants to be.  She has a will of iron (which is going to be awesome someday... just not yet).  She likes to be entertained constantly and loves to hang out with her friends.

My son's physical skills come naturally to him.  He can groove with a beat.  He applies himself to sports with success (as much success as a 4 year old can have).  He usually goes with the flow (probably because he's used to his sister telling him what to do).  He pays attention to details. He's a snuggler.  He still likes to hold my hand.  Sometimes he gets frustrated and growls at me.  He is usually content to hang out at home and can often find something to do to occupy himself for an hour at a time.

I often wondered if I would end up playing favorites with my kids.  Would I feel a strong pull towards one of them?  I mean I'm pretty sure that I was my parents' favorite kid...

But I've realized that I love them the same... but different.  Not one more than the other.  There is a deep love that exists in a mother that will always be there for each of her children.  It drives us to do the things we never imagined we would have to do (most of which involve bodily fluids).  But I do love my children differently.   My daughter is intense.  My love for her is very passionate.  My son is a cuddler (which will change, I'm sure).  My love for him is warm and fuzzy.  I anticipate that as my children grow and change, my love will change as well.  But not one more than the other.  Just different.

A few years back I read a book called The Shed.  (You can call me out if I am remembering this incorrectly - my memory is not what it used to be before I had kids). Without getting into the story too much, I remember one of the characters who portrayed Jesus or God was always telling each person that they were His favorite.  You know, I kind of get that.  My daughter is my favorite.  She's my favorite Jayne.  My son is my favorite. He's my favorite Lincoln.  There's no comparison.  The fact is that they are both my favorite.  My favorite foods are bacon, cheese, and chocolate.  My favorite colors are green and blue.  My favorite restaurants are In and Out, Chipotle, Del Taco, and WaHoo's Fish Tacos.  My favorite kids are Jayne and Lincoln. You don't need to have just one favorite.

KC

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you were and are still my favorite daughter...and I have 3 sons who are all different but I love them all always and I am so thankful for all the children God gave to us. I am blessed! Thanks for the reminder that all our children are favorites. Mom

    ReplyDelete