Tuesday, May 21, 2013

sleep is over-rated

My husband and I are pretty much in agreement that we don't want to have any more babies in this house.  We've been through it twice and we think that's enough.  (I do reserve the right for both of us to change our minds...it has been known to happen!)  One of our reasons is that we don't want to miss so much sleep.

Hmmm, but in reality, our sleep life currently stinks.  Our kids are 4 and 7; well past the infant, waking up every hour, stage. However, they are not sleeping like a 4 and 7 year old should be. 

12:00 (midnight): 7 year old: "Mommy, I had a bad dream, can I sleep on your floor?"
2:00 a.m.: 4 year old is moaning/crying in his sleep.  By the time I get in there, he's calmed down and still asleep.  Funny thing (not funny to me), I get up 2 more times in the next 10 minutes because he's still moaning.  I finally rouse him only to have him tell me he's frustrated because he can't find all the gems!  Dreaming about video games?  Could you do it a little quieter please?
2:45 a.m.: (I'm finally falling back to sleep): 7 year old: " Mom, my stomach hurts."  "Do I need to get you the barf bucket?"  "Yes."  Falls back asleep before I get back.
5:30 a.m.: 4 year old: "Mom, can I play on your phone?"  "Sure, as long as you let me sleep for another hour!!"

Now this is just one example.  Other nights it's a wet bed.  Or two children sleeping on our floor.  Or their room is too dark.  Or there are scary things in their room.  Or they are hungry or have to go potty and need to let us know!   It is very rare when I get a complete night of sleep from the time my head hits the pillow to when my alarm goes off in the morning.  I keep thinking this is going to be a stage.  It's the longest stage of my life.  And I've got the bags under my eyes to prove it!

So what's my point in all this?  Is there anything significant coming out of this story?  Probably, but I'm too tired to remember...

Actually, it's a good reminder of our parent, our heavenly Father, who is always awake, doesn't need sleep and is always ready to hear our needs and prayers. Read this one:

"I lift up my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from ?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  He will not let your foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.  The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."
Psalm 121:1-4,7,8

That is so comforting to me.  I don't know about you, but when I wake up in the middle of the night, it's nice to know that I am not alone. No matter what my fears, ills, or thoughts; I am not dealing with them by myself.

Now, if there is anything else significant about this blog, please feel free to let me know.  I am too tired to figure out anymore!  (That example that I wrote about earlier, that happened to me just last night.  Zzzzzz)

No comments:

Post a Comment