Tuesday, May 7, 2013

scripture and home decor

I can't remember if I wrote about this topic yet or not and as I looked back to last year it didn't seem to be in any of my blogs.  I guess I probably just thought about it a lot and never actually wrote about it (that happens a lot with me. I respond to texts and emails in my head and then forget to physically text or email!)  However, if I did write about it... oh well!

In nearly every room of my house (that is decorated, anyway) there is some form of scripture.  Originally I thought it would be a great thing for my kids: little reminders throughout the house of who they are in Christ and how they should be towards each other.  It turned out to be more than that.

The decor in my house is a reflection of me and my family.  We are Christians (which, by the way, means that we stink at being good people all by ourselves and so we rely on God to help us be better reflections of who He is).  So in one way, the scriptures around our house serve as a witness to others.

But, more importantly, these verses serve as reminders to me.  They are very purposefully picked:

"Be still, and know that I am God."  (I constantly need to be reminded to quit stressing out, especially when it comes to being a mom!)

"Blessed by the grace of God."  (All I have to do is keep my eyes open to see all the ways that God has blessed me, especially by His grace - I am saved!)

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." (This one has upheld me incredibly during some very difficult times in life.)

"Christ is the center of our home." (Not me, not the kids, not my hubby, but Christ - our goal is to look to Him for all things regarding our home.  Notice I said "goal" because I'll be the first to admit that I look to myself an awful lot.)

"Great is Your faithfulness."  (This one appears on a clock and is part of a favorite hymn.  What a great reminder of how He is with us - always and at all times!)

There is more, but I think this is a good sampling.  Okay... one more: "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet." This one is a framed cross stitch that my Mom created for me.  This is probably the best reason for why these verses decorate my home.  Because God's word is a guide for me, a light, words that continue to point me in the right direction when my mind and heart often want to go there own way.

What scripture would have a prominent place in your home?



KC


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an awesome blog...so thankful you are influencing your children's lives with the Word of God. Teaching them about the Lord is the most important thing you can do and it will last forever.Nothing ranks higher than leading our little ones to love Jesus. Keep up the good work and I know your help will come from the Lord to continue doing it! Praise God!Mom

    ReplyDelete