Friday, March 14, 2014

characters and stuff

You know what's better than stuff? Character.  And you know what creates character? Not stuff.

I won't lie: I like stuff.  Just ask my husband and my fantastic shopping buddy, my Mom. I like a cupboard full of mugs that don't match.  I like old suitcases in a variety of colors.  I like chairs of varying styles and sizes.  I like shoes.  I like colorful serving bowls. Buttons, picture frames, artwork. I love books, especially children's books.  I like junk that I can use around the house in such ways that it actually looks like it serves a valuable purpose. 

Stuff. I like it.

But stuff isn't me. It might reflect my style, but it hasn't made me into who I am.

Experiences have shaped me. Choices have changed me. Devastation has deepened me. Difficulties have strengthened me. And God's hand in all of it has created my character.

So I try to remind myself when I get jealous of what other people have: (STUFF!) that I have a different kind of stuff: character. Character is what keeps us surviving.  Character is what gives us perspective. Character will push us through our most difficult times.  Character can keep us upbeat and smiling. 

But every once in a while, a really cool coffee mug makes me smile too! 
(Totally just ruined my whole message with that last line, didn't I?)


KC

No comments:

Post a Comment