Saturday, March 22, 2014

sometimes ya just gotta

When my daughter was young, under the age of 3, she would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall back asleep. Already possessing a strong will during the day, you could understand my frustration at night when this strong will showed up during my sleep time!! I started resent her as it took an hour to get her back to sleep. (I was a somewhat new mom and had a lot to learn!) So I developed a new habit to combat the resentfulness: I would write down all the things about my girl that I loved; from her smile to a funny thing she said that day. Sometimes I could only come up with a couple, but that was enough.

So this evening, a few frustrations from my day have crept in; I have heard myself sigh more than usual! So instead of letting them get me down, I will refocus on the good that God has given me throughout the day:

1. My little buddy with the bumps on his hands and feet is now sleeping through the night - no more pain. This means that I am sleeping through the night again. Yay!

2. I got a head start on my laundry. That never happens!

3. I got to watch my hubby be a handyman today - that's my favorite: to watch him build stuff!

4. My hubby went and filled my truck up with gas for me. Wow! Double brownie points. 

5. For most of the day (not the entire day because that never happens), my kids got along and didn't push my buttons.  My daughter even had a couple of moments where she was very thoughtful of me!

And there were many more good things. Tasty dinner, laughs with my husband, spending time in the spa with the family, working on some fun projects, and 2 or 3 moments of obedience from the kids!

You know what? When you see all the good in a day, it starts to drown out the bad.

Sometimes ya just gotta re-focus and look for the good!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment