Saturday, March 15, 2014

look for the happy

Earlier today I heard my daughter giggling downstairs. She was watching one of her favorite TV shows. I absolutely adore her giggle. There is nothing sweeter. 

But the giggle is rare.  More often than not, we hear " Whinese" in our house. Complaining, griping, belly achin', always whining about something!

So I went downstairs and made her look me in the eye as I said, "That giggle is one of my favorite things to hear.  I don't hear it near enough. You need to find more things in this life to giggle about." 

She smiled and nodded at me. 

And isn't that the truth?  It is so easy for me to get caught up in the busy-ness and frustration of life that it makes me irritable.  I forget to look for the things that make me smile and they're usually right in front of me.

Kids are funny, they do funny stuff - watch for it.
They say silly things - listen to them.
Pets - always good at making their owners smile.
Flowers - beautiful! (Have you ever turned a snap dragon into a dragon?  I'll show you how!)
A good uplifting song on the radio - a gift for our souls!
I put humorous things on my fridge - never gets old, constant smiles.
Old pictures full of memories (some of my classmates have been pulling out their yearbooks - yikes!)
Good conversation, funny texts among friends, sharing good stories.
A house that smells like fresh baked goodies or a home cooked meal - I love it!
The feel of fresh, clean socks (random, I know, but it feels so good!)
A good hair day.
A friend waving at you from their car as they drive by.
A job well done (even if it is cleaning the toilet!)

And these are just the ones off the top of my head.

But think about it: if you chose to focus on the good, the things that make you smile and laugh, don't you think the bad things in your life wouldn't feel quite so terrible? I think so.

So look for it, look for the good, the happy, the enjoyable. It's there, you just have to look for it.

(What can you see right now that brings a smile to your face?)

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment