Tuesday, April 29, 2014

it's going to be ok

Saw this on Pinterest today:

Now, if we would just believe that! 

Life throws some pretty tough blows at us. That's what it is like living in a sinful, imperfect world. I don't know how many of my 10 readers are Christians but for those of us who are, I know we still get stuck in the middle of life's drama, all worked up, forgetting that we have made it through every single situation so far with God's help. 

Our hindsight is perfect. We can look back at life and practically see the times when God has picked us up and carried us through. Yet when we are in trouble's midst, we completely forget His faithfulness to do it again! 

One of my biggest struggles these days is looking at where this world (dare I say, country?) is going and worrying about my children not only growing up in its corruptness, but also worrying about the potential persecution they might face simply for being a Christian. I want to grab my kids and gird them with the knowledge of the Lord so that they will be ready for it all. But even that doesn't take away my worry. There is only one thing: God's promises and His faithfulness. (I suppose you could argue that to be two things, but I think they go hand in hand). 

Last summer I had the opportunity to hear Gloria Gaither speak at a conference. I know she's a big name in Southern Gospel, but I haven't been a big follower of Southern Gospel for very long. Little did I know how much her words would impact my fears. The Gaithers wrote a now well-known song entitled Because He Lives. In the second verse, are these words:

Verse 2 - How sweet to hold a newborn baby, 
And feel the pride and joy he gives 
But greater still the calm assurance 
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

Chorus - Because He lives, I can face tomorrow 
Because He lives, all fear is gone. 
Because I know, I know, He holds the future 
And life is worth the living just because He lives.
 
He is holding the future; not me! What an assurance as I look ahead. Both of my little ones have already accepted the Lord as their Savior - they are not going to go into this world alone! As Gloria explained this second verse, the tears rolled down my face. Worrying for your children is a heavy burden to bear all by yourself (or even with a spouse). But handing their future over the the Lord lifts so much of the weight off your shoulders.

I still worry. It's human nature (or mommy nature). But my worry is kept in check and not nearly as frantic. He holds the future. Not me. I couldn't control it even if I wanted to. 

KC

Here is a link to the live version of the Gaithers singing Because He Lives: http://youtu.be/spa7WkwjwGw






No comments:

Post a Comment