Wednesday, April 30, 2014

acting

You know what it takes to be a parent? Good acting skills!

*Now in this scene, the mom will lean in close to her child and calmly pull the fork out of his hand  explaining that "we don't stick forks up our nose" all while barely containing the scream of frustration that desperately seeks to escape her lips.

*In this next scene, the mother will head into the bathroom to wipe yet another messy bottom, maintaining a smile of confidence all while resisting the urge to gag at the smell and hoping that her hands stay clean as she does the job.

*In this last scene, the mother will calmly pull her flailing, screaming, bratty child out of the grocery cart, leaving the cart full of groceries, and carry him out to the car while everybody stares, even though a good part of her wants to leave the kid in the cart and go home without him!

You know where I really struggle in my acting career? At home, when I am frustrated, irritated, and exasperated with my two children who are acting like crazy monkeys while I am trying to get dinner cooked and on the table. I cannot maintain calmness! My voice gets very stern and loud. Not yelling....well, maybe it does fall into the yelling category. 

But I guess the first step to becoming a better "actor" is understanding what your weakness is and then trying to get better.

So, next time I will *Gently grab the monkeys by the arm and walk them to their rooms where they will stay until dinner, all the while resisting my desire to tie them up and duct tape their mouths!

KC






No comments:

Post a Comment