Thursday, May 1, 2014

visits from heaven

Sometimes God gives you little glimpses of loved ones who are up in heaven with Him.

(My Dad - I called him "Pa" - passed on to heaven 7 years ago, the day after Easter.)

The other day I was writing a little note rather quickly. After I finished, I skimmed through it and for a second I saw my Dad's handwriting. I always thought I would have beautifully scripted handwriting like my Mom's. Afterall, I do have her hands. But nope. I write in more of a square-ish font, similar to that of my Pa.

I've got a few brothers. They all remind me of my Pa.

My oldest brother exhibits my Dad's mannerisms: in the way he stands, uses his hands when he talks, and waves. 

The brother after him has my Dad's hands. Almost literally (hmmm, not sure I'm using "literally" correctly here; you be the judge.) I mean that when I look at his hands, it's like looking at my Dad's hands. 

And the brother between him and me has my Dad's sense of humor. I love it when he tells a cheesy joke and can't contain how funny he thinks it is!

And then there's the random guy I see in a crowd who, for a second...just a second, I could swear was  my Dad. It was his hair or perhaps the way the guy was standing or how he was walking. Whatever it was, it brought me a flash of my Dad. (The first time that happened was very difficult because it was all very raw.)

A little over a year after my Dad passed away, our son was born. He bears my Dad's name as his middle name. I'm not completely sure, but I think God might have put a little bit of Pa into that little squirt. The jokes he tells, the way he talks, even the way his little brain works...

Just little glimpses. 

These used to be heart-wrenching because I missed my Pa with my whole being. Just a little sight of him in someone else reminded me that he wasn't there. Now, although I still miss him with my whole being, it is more of a fond ache instead of a deep, searing pain. Now those glimpses are pleasant little reminders of a good, godly man who I was blessed to have in my life for 28 years. 

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for letting me see my Pa once in a while. Because I really miss him. 

KC

(Sidebar: I was planning on going to bed before I started tonight's post, but the prompting was there. I try not to ignore the prompting because maybe one of you needed to read this. I hope this reaches the heart(s) it was meant for!)


No comments:

Post a Comment