Monday, May 19, 2014

a teacher's heart

Recently I received some devastating news. A teacher whom I love was not offered her contract after 25 years of teaching at the same school. I could say a lot of things about that because I have gone through a wide-range of emotions but I will choose instead to tell you a little about why she is one of the best teachers I know.

Her heart.

She truly loves her students. And I say "loves" because she still does. Every kid that comes into her classroom becomes her kid. Forever.

For me, as a parent, there is nothing more valuable. A teacher who loves my child will strive to do the best she can to meet their needs, to build up their strengths, to improve their weaknesses. A teacher who loves my child will look not only to help them academically, but socially, emotionally, and spiritually. A teacher who loves my child will be my child's advocate. 

A teacher's style, technique, classroom set up, and routines all become secondary when her heart is revealed. I understand that different people desire different aspects of education for their children. I might stand alone on this, but the one thing that I care most about is the development of my child's heart. A heart being taught to seek the Lord.

This particular teacher is why I went to college and became a teacher myself. She wasn't my teacher, in the academic sense, but she taught me many valuable lessons. I know I'm not the only one. I know that "her kids" could give you hundreds of reasons why they loved and still love this teacher. She changed lives, and I know there are parents who can attest to that. 

So my heart is saddened to think about the many kids who will not have the opportunity to be "her kids." What a loss.

(I know I often bring up teachers and their value on this blog but that's simply because a good teacher is worth her weight in gold, plus some! If your child's teacher was fantastic this year, be sure to tell them!)

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment