Sunday, May 11, 2014

peeking during prayer

This morning I attended a church where there were 4 infant baptisms. During the prayer time, I'll admit: I peeked. I always like to watch the babies during baptism or dedication. They are just so cute, and sometimes they are doing adorable baby stuff.

This morning, however, as I peeked, I was sidetracked by the pastor himself. I've never really witnessed a pastor pray in such a manner (maybe because I don't peek very often). He was gesturing, actively gesturing, using his hands to talk: very animated. I watched him have a conversation with God. It was a pretty awesome thing to watch. I will freely admit that I peeked during the other two prayers during the service as well. 

What a great reminder to me: God is real. He doesn't require anything fancy from us in order to talk to Him. I don't usually use eloquent words and I don't have a specific place or position where I pray. Sometimes it's while I'm walking around the house or driving in the truck. There are people who pray very genuine and heartfelt words and sound like they are reciting poetry. Sometimes my prayers are: "Lord, help me keep my stinkin' sanity today!" 

I honestly don't think there is a right way or wrong way to pray. But today I was reminded that prayer is real; a real conversation with a real God. 

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment