Sunday, May 18, 2014

trying

A long time ago my mom taught me how to cross stitch. A completed project is a very beautiful thing and a sign of a very patient and diligent person. A cross stitched creation given as a gift usually has hours and hours of work put into it. 

My projects, not so much! Most of mine were simple little things. I think I might have finished a couple of decent sized ones, but I always seemed to be drawn to the little projects, the quick ones.


(My first project: awwwwwww!)

One of my favorites that I rediscovered a while back was this:



Now let me just clarify and say that I have not done any Biblical research as to the definition of "saint." However, I think you get the idea and the sentiment that this little phrase is trying to portray.

Here's the deal for me: sometimes when I look back over my week (or the last 24 hours, even) my laundry list of "failures" and "things I stink at" is 10 feet long (size 12 font). I am so far from the worthiness of being called a child of God. Not only is my sinful nature evident in my actions, but in my heart and mind as well. I'm pretty sure God is shaking His head at me in disappointment quite frequently throughout the day. 

But! (This is the best part). I keep trying. The frustration of failure often makes me want to just give up. But I won't. I'll try better and harder next time. I'll cast out the mean thoughts and guard the words that come out of my mouth more carefully. I'll try to turn away from temptation and lean heavier on the Lord.

You know what stinks? There are people in this world who do seem perfect. Always making the right choice and saying the right words. But the fact is this: they aren't perfect, but they are trying.

Trying makes all the difference in the world. Trying shows the true direction of your heart.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment