Monday, May 26, 2014

money, boats, and being human

My human side came out today. (How this is different from any other day, I'm not sure...) I pulled out of the SaveMart parking lot right behind a really nice boat (being towed by a really nice truck, of course). I thought about how nice it would be to have our own boat. And then I thought about how nice it would be to have enough money to walk into a place like the Bass Pro Shop and tell the guys there exactly which brand new boat I wanted. And then I thought about how nice it would be to have enough money to get whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and to not have to stress about finances. Ever. 

I constantly fight that human side. The side of me that wants more and is not content with what I've got. The side of me that gets tired of watching every dollar that gets spent. The side of me that believes that money can buy happiness! 


So then I have to step back and look at all that I do have (and I'm not just talking material goods, here, people). When I look around at my blessings, then I begin to see how wealthy I truly am.

- A husband who loves me and encourages me to grow and respects who I am
- Healthy kids who make me smile everyday and fill my heart with mad amounts of love
- music, all the time, all through this house
- a home to entertain in and build relationship and friendships in
- talents, gifts, abilities in each of us
- and we do have a lot of "things" but this quote pretty much explains the value of "things":


So, yeah, "stuff" is fun. But "stuff" does not contain the value that "joy" or "peace" or "love" contain; the best gifts from God. But I need to be reminded of that EVERY day. 

However, if I ever do get a boat, I'll take each of you out for a ride!

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment