Thursday, May 8, 2014

gifts

Sometimes I am in awe of the people God has surrounded me with and that I have had the opportunity to meet. Amazing people with awesome gifts. People who sing with phenomenal talent, who bring goose bumps with their voices. People filled with wisdom. People with a great understanding of God's word and the confidence to share it. People not afraid to witness to a random stranger. People who write moving words. Gifted people.

You ever feel inconsequential around people like that? As if they are filled with gifts from God while you have the ability to clap during worship? They are leading thousands to the Lord while you hope to lead one. I know I do! 

I know I have been given a gift or two from the Lord. But sometimes those gifts seem so small, of hardly any use at all. I don't have vast amounts of scriptural knowledge. Shoot, I can't even memorize scripture anymore! I can carry a tune, but it is in the alto range so...not much use by itself! Ask me to pray out loud and I would opt for the Lord's Prayer all together! 

So what do I do with that? Sometimes I just want to minimize my gifts, they aren't that special after all. But you know what? That line of thinking is baloney. You know why? Because every gift is important. Otherwise God wouldn't have given it to you. We can't all be pastors or worship leaders. Some of us have to stand at the door and greet. Or clean up the church after the service. Or take care of the babes in nursery. 

1 Corinthians 12 discusses this very thing. We are all part of one body but this body has many members...each member has a function. If we do not perform our function, then we cannot work together as a whole. See? Even the little part is important!

Take pride in the gifts God has given to you, no matter the size. The fact is that you are a very important piece of the puzzle and it wouldn't be complete without you. 

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment