Thursday, May 8, 2014

investing in music

I know I often come back to this subject, but it's so valuable and so dear to my heart that I must. Plus, this is my blog and I get to write what I want. You don't have to read further, but I'm going to write anyway! 

Music. Of all the things you could invest into your children, music is one that will be present in their lives until they die. Even then, I'm pretty sure God's got a pretty good line up of musicians up in heaven for our listening pleasure. And I suppose that you could argue that there is no value in music for someone who is deaf.  But one of my awesome piano students is deaf so your argument is invalid. 

I don't know what music elicits in your mind, heart, body, and soul, but here's a quick, condensed list for me:

Joy
Memories
Running/Exercise (Yes, certain songs come on and I need to go for a jog!)
Tears
Dancing, often dancing (if this is against your beliefs, I apologize...a little)
Depth (often when listening to hymns)
Worship
Calmness
Connection (ever have a song that brings to mind one person every time you hear it?)
Release (stress often dissipates with music)
Dancing (oh wait...I said that already)

My kids want to play sports, or take horseback lessons, or gymnastics, or art classes. All these are wonderful. However, the one thing I will always insist on in their education is music. 

I want music in their souls. I want them to dance. I want them to sing. I want them to be filled with joy and good memories. But most of all, I want them to be able to worship God. He gives us so much. This is our gift to Him.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment