Wednesday, April 2, 2014

pride

I'm not talking about Cougar Pride or that feeling you get when your child does something stellar. I'm not talking about the pride you feel after a major accomplishment or completed project.

No, I'm talking about the pride that gets in the way. That feeling that you are better than someone else. Always being right, never being wrong. The pride that allows chasms to grow in relationships. The pride that sets a terrible example for our children. A focus on me. Not you. Me.

That pride needs to go because it does no good.

Early on in my marriage, I experienced a situation that challenged my pride and changed my life. Apologies were very difficult for me. Uttering the words, "I'm sorry" were practically impossible. But in a moment where I was obviously in the wrong and not wanting to admit it, my husband gently sat me on his lap and told me that I needed to apologize.  Through tears, I did. It was still difficult because that pride is a stubborn thing, but each time it got a little easier to admit my shortcomings and apologize. 

And there are still moments where I want to stand on my high horse because I am right!! (Not really sure that saying is worded correctly, but you get my point.) But if I stay up there, there is a crack in our relationship and the chasm has started. Until one of us takes the first step to repair it (by tearing down our pride), that crack will continue to grow and grow until it is irrepairable. (I know we've only got 13 years of marriage under our belts so forgive me for trying to sound "experienced and wise", but that is a crack that we don't let grow because it's potential is too risky.)

I found this on Pinterest and it struck me as a valuable perspective. 

Truth be told, my marriage is so much more important that always being right. Sometimes I just gotta suck it up, swallow my pride, and fix the crack.

KC

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 1 Corinthians 13:4

No comments:

Post a Comment