Friday, April 11, 2014

parenting for jr. high

Jr. High.

I wonder what that brings to mind for you? 

Of all the times of my life, this is when I feel like I grew up. No longer a child. No longer so carefree. Suddenly the future is a real thing. Choices you make at this age might actually affect your future. You start to know so much but still understand so little.

It was awesome and scary all at the same time.

My daughter is finishing up 3rd grade this year. She's an amazing handful of strong will and emotions. I'm parenting for the moment, for where she is right now. That's hard enough!

But I'm also parenting for her future. For when she is in Jr. High and hormones kick in (for her and everyone around her!) For when temptations become really appealing. When rebelling against us feels good. I'm parenting now for the times when I won't be around her every time she needs to make a decision. 

I try constantly to point her to God, the One who will always be with her.  The One who will direct her when I cannot be there. Her conscience in the face of temptation. 

Because thinking about her future is scary and awesome all at the same time.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment