Thursday, April 24, 2014

time

Tomorrow my son has the day off from school. He's giving up his K classroom and teacher so that the Pre-K kids can give it a try. We're both kinda excited about it. Not because we have anything fun and exciting planned, but because we like to hang out together.

It used to be that I was excited for the kids to go to school. More "me" time! But as the months went by, I started to really look forward to their vacation times. I wanted to be with them, even if there were some times that drove me crazy! And although I pretended that I couldn't wait till school started back up again, secretly a bit of me was sad. 

This is not to say that all of our time together is rainbows and butterflies (I heard that somewhere - I assume that it means everything is honky-dory, which means happy and carefree...I think... but don't quote me). There are plenty of times when we need a break from one another and we go to our separate corners for a while. 

But, over the past couple of years, it has really hit me hard how quickly my children are growing up and maturing. And realistically, they won't spend that much of their lives in my home. (If they lived to be 90 and move out of my home at 20, that is 70 years living somewhere other than here!) So my time with them has become a valuable commodity. This time with them is short and I need to respect the value it has and use it wisely. This is the most important learning time in their lives when they might still listen to me! I want to breathe God into them at every opportunity. 

So tomorrow, my boy and I might not do anything very exciting, but we will spend time together and have good conversations, play Go Fish, and do stuff that makes our relationship stronger. 

KC




No comments:

Post a Comment