Tuesday, October 14, 2014

big ears

When I was younger (high schoolish age), my friends would often come to me when they were going through tough or frustrating situations. We would sit and I would listen as they vented their emotions about whatever they were going through: unfair parents, rude classmates, horrible teachers, fights with a boyfriend or girlfriend. 

At that point in my life, I didn't have much experience in...well...life! I was a high schooler, for Pete's sake. So I wasn't really able to offer much advice. But I would listen and nod my head when appropriate and say, "Uh-huh," a lot. I didn't think that made me a very good friend until someone told me that it was wonderful that I had such big ears.

I don't have big ears. They're actually quite petite. However, I was a good listener and sometimes that's all a person needs is a good listener, someone with big ears. 

Sometimes it just feels good to talk and get it all out of your head. And as you talk, things start to make more sense. And sometimes you need to know that someone sees your side of things, when it seems like everyone else disagrees. Sometimes you just need someone to be there. 

Nowadays, I have a bit of experience to glean advice from (most of the gleaning I have done from older and wiser people). However, just because I can speak, doesn't mean I should. And learning the difference between those two things can be tough. 

Some of the most difficult times for me have been when I didn't know who to talk to, who to trust with my intimate emotions, who would understand. But I knew that God was always there to listen. I could show Him my anger and frustration, share my disappointments, and express my desires. And He listened every time. And I knew He listened, because when I finished my conversation with Him, I felt the weight of it all lifted from my shoulders. 

1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your anxieties on Him, for He cares for you.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment