Monday, October 6, 2014

sleeping wonders

My husband and I agreed that when we had kids, they would sleep in their own beds, not ours, and we would teach them that they didn't need to have a parent lay down with them to fall asleep. This was our personal parenting style, our choice. And with our kids somewhat grown, we still feel that way. 

Nowadays they might wake up in the middle of the night and come sleep on our floor or they might have a "slumber party" in one of their rooms. And before they fall asleep, our bedtime routine includes some very important snuggle time.

But sometimes, like tonight, I sneak back into one of their rooms to watch my babies sleep. It is my favorite time of day: watching their beautiful faces in peace...or with their mouths wide open, or drooling, or whatever wacky position they might he in. 

Goodness, they are amazing little creatures. Miraculous wonders from God. 

During the day, they have their moments. Today was my son's turn to whine at me for most of the day. He turned on his irritating voice and used it. All day. My daughter was somewhat exhausted for the first half of the day from a busy weekend so she played the "poor little old me" role very well. They're not so cute during those moments. Nor do they seem like miraculous little wonders. And sometimes I have to search for the "amazing". 

(That's just me being an honest mom right there - I'm sorry if that offends you, but this mom thing is hard work and I know there are plenty of moms, and dads, who struggle like I do. And if you don't struggle in this whole parenting thing, good for you! But... I've got no advice for you.)

Back to sleeping wonders...

Before I tuck myself in, I always check on my kids. I look at their little faces and realize how blessed I am. God hand-picked my son and daughter for me. He uses them to change me. To grow me. To make me into who He wants me to be. My children are His instruments. 

And at night when they are asleep, they are quiet and cooperative, beautiful and peaceful little instruments. 

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment