Thursday, October 9, 2014

words

(This is going to be a shorty because after last night, I need gobs more sleep). 

As a kid, I was taught the hymns in church. That was our primary form of worship. Singing them over and over eventually wove them into my heart. 

As I got older, I realized that I really liked poetry. Certain poems would strike me personally and I would commit those words to memory.

In 8th grade, our Bible teacher had us memorize a series of individual verses from the Bible. We had to speak them into a recorder. These were key verses that emphasized the big picture of the Bible.

Now that I'm a little older, I realize that those words are tucked into my soul. When I sing one of the great hymns, the meaning has so much depth because those words have been with me so long. When I hear one of the poems I committed to memory, it strikes such a resounding chord. I memorized the words that meant the most to me. And the scriptures, oh the scriptures! Those key verses are applied daily in my life. They constantly come to mind as I deal with everyday life.

My point? Teach your kids words. Words that you want to stick with them the rest of their life. Repeat those words over and over so that they wear paths through your children's hearts and become familiar friends. Good words, valuable words, words with depth that will speak to them when needed. 

(Goodness, I felt like I was writing this to myself! Apparently I need the reminder too. Tomorrow's lesson: memorization!)

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment