Friday, December 25, 2015

a big gift in a small package

This evening I wrapped the last gift. It is probably the smallest gift under the tree. It's not fancy; I didn't even put a bow on it. But it was the most important gift that I put under the tree. This gift marks the beginning of a new tradition for the Cragin Family.

Tomorrow morning our kids will wake up early - some natural alarm clock that wakes them up before the sun on Christmas Day. They have specific instructions not to wake us before 7:00. We'll have a quick breakfast because patience is at a minimum and one by one we will open our gifts. I'll save that little one for the very end.

You might think us to be cruel parents, but we have never promoted the idea of Santa in our home. This was a personal decision that we made before we ever had children. Our kids like the idea of Santa, think he's a wonderful character, and have very specific instructions to never tell any child that Santa isn't real. Our focus for Christmas has always been the birth of a Savior.

This evening within that little box I wrapped up baby Jesus from my favorite nativity set. In the morning  the kids are going to get some great gifts - I cannot wait to see their expressions! But I'm hoping that opening that last gift will serve as a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas, the best gift of all: The birth of Jesus Christ.


Merry Christmas to you all,
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment