Monday, December 21, 2015

Easter - the best gift of Christmas (guest post by JB)

I was thinking that I should focus on Christmas this week because, well, Christmas! And lo and behold, a buddy of mine, whom I have been pestering to write for me as a guest blogger, sent me a great perspective on Christmas. Read this and then mentally applaud JB for sharing the true meaning, the deeper meaning of Christmas so clearly:  

So so close to Christmas, we celebrate the birth of Jesus. We celebrate by giving gifts, spending time with family and friends, let's not forget the FOOD!! 

For some of us, we look forward to the anticipation of what Christmas brings. For some it's much needed time off, others figuring out what needs to be done to stay away from the tax man. It's also stressful to some making sure every nephew or niece gets a gift or stocking stuffer, that every ingredient is on hand for the FOOD! (See my love for food) 

But tonight, at the Sounds of the Season concert at my church, Modesto CRC, (which if you missed.....make sure it's on your list of things to see next year. Amazing job by so many members of my church), I focused on Jesus's impending death. 

Why??? As I held that candle at the service and sang "Silent Night" I was overwhelmed with what it means that Jesus died on a cross for ME! I wanted it to be Easter. I realize that had Jesus never been born, we could never celebrate his death and resurrection. 

Maybe it's because I've been so busy at the farm, (it's hard being Farmer John) I've not been able to feel the joy of what Christmas brings. But what I've seen and heard while selling Christmas trees this year has made me see the despair that is so prevalent in some people. Worse yet, it's brought out bad stuff within me. I've been judgmental, irritable to others including my own family and wife that I love. So much temptation as well. We all know the usual temptations.  

But with Easter there is always a sense of renewal. We focus on all the bad things we do and think and ask forgiveness, whereas Christmas is celebrating Jesus birth. But think about the selfishness that happens. 

Maybe tonight was just what I needed to find the joy in Christmas. I am renewed, Jesus Christ is born!!! Alleluia!! 

JB

Show my buddy some appreciation for his reminder of how awesome Christmas is because it points to Easter. Thanks, JB, for sharing your words!

No comments:

Post a Comment