Wednesday, December 9, 2015

fruit...finally

Sometimes as a parent you can try and try and try to teach a child a lesson but it seems no matter what effort you put into the lesson, it just won't stick. It's like training a dog. Why, oh why will you not just sit when I ask you to?! 

And then, miracle of all miracles, you finally see a bit of fruit! That is the most rewarding part of being a parent, in my opinion. 

This year, my kids chatted with me about Thanksgiving (after the big day was done) and the upcoming Christmas season and their words blew me away! Things are sticking, people! After Thanksgiving, both of my kids told me a short list of what they were thankful for. Neither of them mentioned one material thing! Not toys, games, electronics, clothes...no! They were thankful for the people in their lives, their family members and friends. They were thankful for Jesus and that He gave us salvation. 

THERE WAS NO PROMPTING FROM ME! 
These were not rehearsed answers! 
Woah.

And randomly my Lincoln came up to talk with me about how he loved so many things about Christmas: making gingerbread house, and the birth of Jesus, of course (that was his, "duh, mom - that's the whole point of this holiday!"), and getting to see all his cousins and aunts and uncles and   grandparents. I asked if there was other stuff he liked and he mentioned decorating the tree but not once did he mention opening Christmas presents. 
Maybe he just forgot...yeah, he probably just forgot. 😜

Now maybe you think I'm a party-pooper of a mom. After all, what kind of mom would begrudge her children the happiness of opening Christmas presents?! But that's not the case. My kids have lists and I love picking things from their lists when I shop. I cannot wait to see their excitement when they open up each item that my husband and I intentionally discussed and picked out for each of them. That is such a fun experience that our family shares each Christmas morning!

But they see so much more than that now. And that makes my heart beam with pride. That is maturity. That is perspective. THAT MEANS THEY ARE LISTENING TO ME AND WATCHING ME!! Fruit. 

And fruit gives hope.
And hope motivates.
And as long as I can see a bit of fruit, I will keep on keeping on in this whole crazy parenting world that I call momhood.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment