Tuesday, December 1, 2015

let it go

Seriously, that was the cruelest thing I could do: make the title of this blog the lyrics to a song that everyone hopes to forget about for long periods of time. #sorrynotsorry #okayalittlebitsorry

A good friend of mine and I made plans to meet at my house for a bit today. We're both busy gals so when we can get an hour or two together we take it! Before she came over, I had schooling to do with my kids and then an errand to run and I made it back to my house approximately 3 minutes before she did. 

As I pulled into my court, I was thinking about all the things I would have liked to have had done before she came, all the straightening up that would have made my house more presentable. And then the yard and planters came into view and I thought about how little amount of work I had done to them since moving in 4 years ago. 

But in that same moment, where I began to feel bad about all that I wasn't accomplishing, God reminded me of something greater (He is quick like that!):

I am in a season. And this season of my life has priorities that don't include creating a beautiful yard or keeping my house perfectly clean (ok, honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever be in a season where I will keep my house perfectly clean...) 

So I let it go!

My season of life is focused on my husband and my children and my relationships with other people. If I don't get the laundry finished when I want to because I chose to hang out with our neighbors instead, that's because those people are important to me! If I have an hour break from my kids because they are attending gymnastics and I choose not to clean the bathroom, but to spend time having a cup of coffee with my mom, it's because my time with her is WAY more important than a clean bathroom.(D oesn't that make you feel special, Mom?! 😜) 

I know my life is packed. Between homeschool, a mini-career in teaching piano lessons, being a homemaker (yes, I like that term), maintaining this God-given passion to write (seriously, people, even if I take a break for a week or so, He is still poking my heart to get back on here and write!) and about 25 other hobbies/passions/priorities, I don't feel bad for setting aside the vacuum for another day or for letting the herbs get a little crazy in the front planter.

And friends, like my gal Kris, don't really care what the place looks like. The good friends, the true ones come to see me because they like me, despite my lack of house-keeping priorities. 

(Now, lest you think I shun those who keep a clean house, I will clarify: I don't shun you! Some people truly enjoy keeping a clean home, just as I enjoy playing piano or writing. To each their own priorities for each season of life. Mine will just never be cleaning the house. By the way, my husband is looking for recommendations for good housecleaners...)

KC


No comments:

Post a Comment