Sunday, December 20, 2015

feel it

This morning in church, a gal sang a solo that gave me goosebumps through the entire song. Although she sang beautifully, but it wasn't her voice that caused the chills. It was the words of the song. The writer in me became absorbed in the choice of words that were used to portray meaning and emotion. Each phrase is powerful and moving. I was nearly moved to tears as I began to feel every word. 

Maybe it's just the linguistic geek in me, but can't you feel this song?!
(Free commentary provided by yours truly)

O Holy Night 
The stars are brightly shining
It is the night
Of our dear Savior's birth (if this doesn't set the setting for you...then read it again!)

Long lay the world
In sin and error pining (how heavy does that feel?!)
Til He appeared
And the soul felt its worth (the soul - your innermost, what makes you, you. Now your soul can breathe because you are not defined by your sin and error - the Savior came!)

A thrill of hope
The weary world rejoices ("thrill," "hope," "rejoices" - I've been weary, these words erase that weariness)
For yonder breaks
A new and glorious morn ("new", people! AND "glorious!" We are starting over!)

Fall on your knees (the amount of gratitude we should have for this Savior should make us physically fall to our knees) 
Oh hear the angel voices (I'm going to assume that "angel voices" are better than anyone who has appeared on American Idol or The Voice, in which case: wow!)
O night divine (how can you not be happy about the word "divine?" For some reason, the only thing I can think of right now as being divine is chocolate, but hey, that'd make for a pretty good night...)
O night when Christ was born (but this is quite a bit more divine than chocolate!)
O night divine
O night when Christ was born!

Can't you just FEEL it? Isn't your heart starting to swell and feel full?! 
Okay, so I might have gotten a little off track at the end of the song, but I wasn't actually there the night Christ was born and in order for me to even begin to imagine how amazing it must have felt, I have to liken it to my own experiences...like chocolate and The Voice, both of which are pretty amazing!


I geeked out even more and "researched" (in other words "Googled") the history behind this song. And in short (to quote beliefnet.com) it was originally written by a French "poet who later split from the church, given soaring music by a Jewish composer, and brought to Americans to serve as much as a tool to spotlight the sinful nature of slavery as tell the story of the birth of a Savior and it has become one of the most beautiful, inspired pieces of music ever created." At one point the song was banned from being sung in churches! Good thing God is bigger than us.

We've only got about 5 more days of Christmas music ahead of us (unless you're one of those strange ones who can listen to it all year round - I know a few of you types and I love you for it,  but I just can't 😳) and my hope for you all is that you don't just hear the music, but that you feel it. 
You know, goosebumps and all.

KC



I went looking for a link to this song on YouTube and, being partial to the talent of Southern Gospel performers, I found this video of the Collingsworth Family. Woah!: http://youtu.be/8wUbtuKZjWo 






No comments:

Post a Comment