Monday, November 18, 2013

simple joy

Today was a busy day.  I crammed a whole bunch of stuff into my day, which isn't unusual, but keeps me constantly on the go. I had about 10 minutes to eat my lunch before my piano students would arrive.  They start at 2:15 so that tells you how late my lunch was.  After a healthy lunch (well, okay, it wasn't fully healthy, but the cheese and chicken on my nachos have to count for some good!),  I was scooping a spoonful of homemade chocolate almond butter (seriously amazing butter that my friend Chrissy makes) out of a jar to savor, followed by about 3 or 4 more scoops when a thought hit me: 

In the busy-ness of my life, I need to make sure that I am taking time to enjoy the simple pleasures that each day offers, otherwise I will miss so much!  So I started paying attention and appreciating...

Listening to my husband laugh as he reads and shares something funny from the web.

Adding chocolate chips to my pumpkin muffins (because apparently I don't think muffins should be healthy).

The smell of the new hand soap by the kitchen sink.  It's not fancy or expensive because I only get fancy and expensive soaps as gifts from other people.  But it smelled great nonetheless.

A brownie with a Reese's PB cup sunk into the middle of it, brought over by a friend who was thoughtful enough to think I might like it (thank you, Julie - so delicious!!)

Listening to my piano students as they learn their Christmas recital pieces - they are so excited!

The random hugs my son gives me as he walks by.  This happens all the time. He just likes to hug.  I'm a lucky mom.

Sharing inside jokes with a friend. 

Reaching a PR in my Deadlift (I know, I know - not everybody likes CrossFit but it was an awesome moment for me!)

Super sweet strawberries even in the middle of November!

The sprinkle of freckles across my sleeping daughter's face - beautiful.

So maybe tomorrow morning I should start looking right away for the simple things that just make my day or make me smile, because sometimes those little pleasures are the brightest moments in my day.

KC 


No comments:

Post a Comment