Thursday, June 12, 2014

a season for talent

When I was young(er), I used to perform on the piano for church and competitions. I had parents who sacrificed to pay for my lessons. I had great teachers who saw my potential and pushed me to excel. I was told that I had a gift and a special touch on the piano, so that must have been from God.

About 10 years ago a guy I once knew asked if I still performed on the piano. We had both played piano when we were young and he was still doing so. He was shocked and seemed almost disappointed when I told him that I wasn't performing but that I did teach piano lessons. I actually felt ashamed that I wasn't doing something bigger and better with my gift. 

(Considering how long ago that was and the clarity with which I remember his expression, it obviously made an impact on my life!)

Fast forward 10 years and here I am with an overfilled piano lesson schedule as well as a waiting list. I realized that teaching piano is just as valuable as performing. But I have also been given the opportunity to accompany a small singing group on a regular basis where my abilities have grown immensely. And the performances are touching lives. 

And it struck me just today (and now I can finally get over the expression of disappointment on that guy's face) that God gives us our gifts and He will decide how and when we are to use them. We go through different seasons in our lives. God is directing our paths and the opportunities to use our gifts. 

You have a gift or a talent that's sitting on the shelf? Don't let it get too dusty because you never know when God's going to want use for something bigger and better.  


KC



No comments:

Post a Comment