Wednesday, June 18, 2014

parenting: the truth


Raising kids is hard. It's the most difficult thing I've ever done...and I'm not even close to being finished. Well, honestly, you never get to be finished being a parent, but at some point the kids move out and that's close.

It's easy to focus on the negatives of being a parent. My kids never like what I make for dinner. They wreak havoc in a room I cleaned 15 minutes ago. They rob me of my sleep. They throw up on the carpet. They cry at the most inconvenient times. The boy makes annoying noises. The girl never brushes her hair...ever. They leave Legos on the floor and snack wrappers all over the house. One or the other has got their finger up their nose on a regular basis. They complain. They throw fits. They yell mean and nasty things at their mom! And they demand so much attention!!!

But, despite all the chaos that my children bring into my life, all the frustration and anger that has boiled out of me, all the weird and gross noises that come out of them, I am blessed.

I look around me every day and see what I am blessed with in my two children. Every negative thing that happens because of them is completely worth it.

My boy snuggles and kisses my cheek. My daughter tells me she loves me. On random days they will bring me breakfast in bed. They draw me pictures. They make me laugh. They beg to be tickled. They sing. I love to hear my children sing! They think of others and do special things for them. They greet their daddy when he walks in the door. They hug like nobody else. They grow up a little bit each day, becoming more mature and responsible. They love. 

They have taught me patience and selflessness. They have taught me that I can overcome my weaknesses so that I can be a better mom. They have taught me the pure pleasure of holding my child on my lap and just cuddling. They have taught me to have fun. They have taught me how to enjoy the simple things in life and how to simply enjoy my children. I love them with a love like no other. 

These kids, they don't know what they do to me! Although it might seem like they drive me crazy, they are making me into something beautiful and I am loving this whole thing called "Mom."




KC


No comments:

Post a Comment