Tuesday, June 10, 2014

a wedded example

In this day and age, it's very difficult to find a good example of what marriage should be. I was fortunate in that my parents set that example for me for 40+ years. Today, June 10th, would have been their 50th wedding anniversary.

I don't remember my parents ever raising their voice at one another. If they did argue, I don't remember it! My Dad constantly built my mom up, complimenting her and telling and showing her how beautiful she was. He was her rock, the calm in her storm, giving her peace. 

My parents were best friends. They had similar interests and took the time to appreciate their different hobbies. They had so many things they enjoyed doing together: camping, taking a drive, going to the coffee shop, visiting little towns, and viewing the countryside. They loved to play games, especially card games. They worked tirelessly on their yard with a large variety of plants and flowers. Mom liked to cook and Dad liked what she cooked! They both had a crafty side: dad would do the woodwork and Mom would paint it. They were well-matched because they worked at being so.

Dad and Mom made a decision early in their relationship to put God above anything else. God was what tied them together. They prayed about big decisions and researched the Word daily. Church was an integral part of their lives. This was the most important example they gave to their children.

My Dad passed 7 years ago, but this day is still so very special to my Mom as she remembers their relationship. She misses his hugs and his smile. She misses his company, his habits, his routines. She misses his corny jokes and ability to make pretty much anyone smile. She not only lost a husband, but a best friend who knew everything about her.

I love you, Mom.
I miss you, Dad.
Thank you for teaching me what marriage should be, 
KC


No comments:

Post a Comment