Thursday, August 21, 2014

afraid to dream

Sometimes I like to wax poetic.
If you don't like to read poetic, then skip down to the bottom part of the blog that doesn't look like a poem. You won't be missing much and you'll still get the gist of what the post is about. (And I won't know if you've read the poem or not so you won't even hurt my feelings!)

The Non-Rhyming Poem 
(because, well honestly, it's easier that way)

There is a place inside you
Where dreams live deep.
Those dreams keep hope alive
Even when those dreams don't dare to speak. 

That hope, it guides,
It pushes and it beckons you
To go where you've never been 
And to do what you've never done.

Fear and nerves get in the way
And the doubt is ever present.
You worry when you stumble
And confidence wanes.

But that hope inside is constant, 
Whether a big flame or a small ember.
It begs you to pursue the dreams
And to forget the stumbles.

You might be right:
Maybe you aren't strong enough,
Smart enough, or speak with eloquence.
Your weaknesses are constantly evident.

But, none of that matters
When God takes the dreams He planted
And makes them a reality.
All you have to do is go along.


And the non-poetic part:

There are very few blogs that I follow (mostly because I think it would take away from my valuable time spent on Pinterest 😝), but one guy I consistently read is Jon Acuff. He's funny but he's real and he doesn't have to try hard to be either and I happen to think that's a perfect combination. 

He's also a dreamer who is making his dreams come true. And his words often speak to me because apparently I'm a dreamer too. I have out-loud dreams but I also have dreams that I have never voiced. Because if I tell someone about it, then it becomes a reality...something to pursue. And I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

What about you? What's burning inside you? (I will mention that if you had read my poem, you might have gotten the connection there...just sayin'!) What's getting in your way? 

Or are you sitting there just like me, afraid to give your dream a voice? 

So what do I do now? I'm not certain, but I do know it's time to stop making excuses to a God who can use me in ways beyond what I can imagine. I'm not sure how or when but that's okay. He knows and that's good enough for me. 

KC

(So every once in a while, like tonight, I will write a blog not even realizing that God is speaking directly to me as I write. And when I finally realize that, it kinda trips me out because these are my words, right? Ah, but they are not. Only the misspelled ones come from me - the rest are His.)




No comments:

Post a Comment