Monday, August 11, 2014

searching for the good

Every couple of weeks my mother-in-law brings me a rotisserie chicken and sour dough bread from Costco. I look forward to that day because it's a meal that I really don't have to think much about. And as much as I enjoy cooking, I rarely have that much time to put into it. 

I'm pretty fortunate. I have great in-laws. Not perfect, but no one is. But my mother-in-law will watch the kids at the drop if a hat, if needed. She will do any research I ask regarding my children: nutrition, health, education. She buys me practical gifts like sheets, vacuums, and towels so that I don't have to buy the mundane things. And if I need a new appliance, she will do the research to help me find the best one because she knows that I'm usually too busy to do that sort of research stuff. She doesn't step on my toes when it comes to parenting and rarely offers unsolicited advice. Like I said, I'm pretty fortunate!

But there are a lot of mother-in-laws that, well, don't exactly fall into the "wonderful" category. I know this because I've heard the stories! I think sometimes mother-in-laws feel they've earned the right to say whatever they want whenever they want. And maybe even to do whatever they want. Family relationships have been ruined because of the strain placed between a mother-in-law and her daughter-in-law.

But have you ever looked at your mother-in-law and tried to see past all the negativity you feel? To look for the good? And not just your mother-in-law, but anyone you know? To find the good, the talent, the beauty in the crabby next door neighbor. To see the strength and determination and passion in your sister-in-law. To appreciate the dedication and discipline of the lady who sits near you in church but never smiles.

There's good. There's (almost) always good. But sometimes you have to search extra hard for it.

But I'll tell you this: once you start looking for the good, it gets easier and easier to find.

KC



No comments:

Post a Comment