Thursday, August 7, 2014

evolving as a mom

I read something today that got me thinking about this whole business of being a mom. 

I remember before we had kids, we were going to be perfect parents. We had it all figured out: how to make our children behave, get them to brush their teeth 2 times a day, and make their beds every morning, how to get them to eat vegetables, how to protect them from this world. And we were going to raise the most respectful, obedient, well-behaved chidren. Everyone would be impressed...just you wait and see! 

I mean seriously, people, it really didn't seem that difficult.

God decided that humility was a good lesson to teach us. Apparently we were asking for it.

Our firstborn was the avenue that God decided to use to teach us humility. 

But she's a whole other story...

What I realized today is that who I thought I wanted to be as a mom has evolved according to the children that God has placed in my life. He has shown me where I need to change my priorities and where I need to put my focus as a mother. 

He has taught me to show grace.

He has given me gobs more patience than I started out (although I must say, I think I've earned that - I've been through many trying situations).

He has taught me how to look through the eyes of a child and to see life through their eyes and to feel it with their heart.

He has shown me that sometimes it's okay to look past the mess and just be with my kids. Messes will always be there. Bike rides and games with the family won't.

He has taught me that it's okay if my kids don't like all the veggies and forget to brush their teeth, and if they struggle with reading, and spill entire glasses of milk or forget to pick up their shoes...

They're not perfect, no matter how hard I try to make them be that way. And neither am I.  Not only do my beloved children need grace, I need to show myself some grace too.

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment