Tuesday, August 12, 2014

for a purpose

Today my beautiful, strong-willed daughter flexed her will up against mine. I made the best decision for her and she didn't like it so she fought me. This is not an unusual thing for us. The two of us have gone head to head many times. And more often than not, she comes around and realizes that I am right in my decision.

As was the case today.

After my decision was made, she stormed away to sulk and be upset with me. Not 10 minutes later, she walked back into my room with tears in her eyes, apologizing and telling me that I was right. 

(Just a little sidebar: we have spent years learning how to deal with her tantrums appropriately and in a manner that God has called us to do. This fruit, the remorse and apologies, have been hard-earned, let me just tell ya!)

She apologized.

That would be a great way to end they story, eh? 

Nope. Too easy.

After I forgave my girl, she went on to beat herself up about what she had done. She leans toward being over-dramatic so I let her go on until she told me that she had no purpose here on earth.  Then I stopped her. 

After calming her down and getting her to a mindset where she could listen, this is what I told her (and I tell you this because maybe you need to hear it):

Never tell me that you have no purpose. God created you for a special reason. You ask what that reason is? Maybe it is something big! Or maybe something small. Or maybe you will never fully understand what your purpose is, but that doesn't mean that God didn't place you here for a reason. Maybe you are already affecting lives and you don't even know it! But God does. 

And just because you have a bad day or a bad moment or a bad week, that doesn't mean that you can't fulfill that purpose.

You have value. God chose that you would be here. He's planning on using you, if you are willing. 

So don't ever tell me that you don't have a purpose here on earth. You might not get it, but God does. 

I'd love to say that everything turned out honky-dory after that, and it did for all of 15 minutes when she moved on to something else! Some days are just like that around here...

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment