Sunday, August 24, 2014

little hands

This evening my bracelet came off while in church. I struggled with one hand to get it back on and my 6 year old little boy grabbed it and with his little boy hands complete with dirt under the fingernails, he fastened my bracelet back around my wrist. And while he did this, I got a glimpse of the future.

Someday this little boy is going to be someone's husband. (That's kinda frightening to me - I'll be a mother-in-law! 😳) And someday he will be fastening a bracelet around his wife's wrist. My job is to prepare him for that day, the day when he becomes a husband. 

Being a parent comes with huge responsibilities. We are raising good citizens, people who are going to make a difference in the world, leaders, influential people, and most importantly in my house: strong children of God. But we are also raising future husbands and wives (and for those of us who have been married, you know the value of a good spouse!) 

And not only are we teaching them directly by our words and by explaining how we should treat other people, but through our example in our own marriages and relationships. By how we treat the people we love as well as by how we allow ourselves to be treated. 

I had a wonderful example of marriage set before me by my parents. I'm sure it wasn't perfect but they strove to make their relationship the most important thing in their lives, second only to God. And my husband and I try to do the same, with the hopes that our children will follow our example and not only choose godly spouses who treat them with love and respect, but also so that they themselves might work hard at being excellent spouses. 

I know I can't pick who my children marry, but I can certainly try my best to teach them what to look for in a spouse. Because that decision right there will affect them for the rest of their life. And that is a long time.

But for now, I'm going to keep enjoying little hands and fingers while they are still mine to hold. 

(Goodness, am I tearing at your mommy and daddy heart strings or what?!) 😩

KC

No comments:

Post a Comment